I ended my last post about the foundation on the day that the rigid foam had been installed and the decision to omit the 10 mil poly was made. The following day was when the concrete guys were to come out and install the steel reinforcing for the slab, which proceeded as planned with no problems. For reinforcing, a 10 mm rebar grid was laid out on 12" centres and tied together. With hindsight, I know this is over-kill and if I were to do it again, I would have argued for lighter gauge reinforcing in my plans. My concrete contractor kept joking that if I ever needed any extra cash, I could open up my basement to do heavy-duty mechanic work since I would now be able to park a bulldozer or excavator on the slab. Live and learn.
The last big task to accomplish prior to pouring the slab was to install the PEX tubing for the radiant floor heating system. As I write this I have no plans to actually use the radiant floor system to heat the house, but I decided to install the tubing anyway since I wouldn't be able to change my mind later. The first step to installing the PEX was to layout the location of all the basement partition walls using fluorescent paint. Working off of a map that I had made for myself, I used nylon "zip-ties" to fasten the PEX directly to the rebar. One advantage to the heavy gauge reinforcing was the wider 12" spacing which made estimating the tie points for the PEX tubing easy. The most difficult aspect of installing the PEX was simply getting it uncoiled without kinking it.
Each run of PEX (one continuous run per zone) begins and ends at the same spot in what will be the utility room. I connected the beginning and end of each zone to the set of manifolds that I had constructed and pressure tested earlier. Once the tubing was connected to the manifolds, I also connected my home-made pressure tester to the manifolds using a long piece of 3/4" poly pipe. The manifolds and poly pipe were supported in an upright position by cantilevering a 16' 2x4 from the slab edge forms.
Lear and Burn - The Sheepdogs
Lucas,
ReplyDeleteA few years ago, Jeff Armstrong, an architect based in Ottawa, built an energy-efficient home near Ottawa. His solution to anchoring the PEX to the foam was to use large plastic staples. He decided not to lay out a rebar grid. Instead, he had fiberglass fibers mixed into the concrete. These filaments provided structural strength for the slab. This saved the cost of the Rebar plus the labour required to tie the rebar and attach the PEX to the grid.
Here's the link to Jeff's blog. It is very comprehensive and well written. Jeff became involved in a new business just as the house was being closed in, so the series stopped at that point, unfortunately.
http://dacinternational.blogspot.com/2008/11/waiting-for-slab-to-come.html
For more information, Google "DAC International + Snye House"
-Jim
Jim,
DeleteThanks for the link. Fibreglass reinforcing sounds promising.
One thing I can say about tying the PEX to rebar (or welded wire) is that it doesn't go anywhere - even with people walking all over it. Never having tried plastic staples, I wonder how they would compare in terms of job site "sturdiness".