Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Pressure testing.

The pressure-testing rig is complete... There's a pressure tank, a 1" inlet port for filling with a utility pump, a shut-off valve, a vent valve and a 3/4" auxillary port that connects to whatever you want to test.

To test the mabifolds, I soldered them together with pieces of 1/2" copper pipe and connected them to the test rig with 3/4 poly pipe. After testing I'll cut the manifolds apart again. To test the manifolds, I pumped water into the 1" port with the vent valve open. Once everything filled up, I closed the vent valve and the shut-off to the pump. The pump was only strong enough to pressurize the system to about 10 psi, so I used my compressor to put air into the back of the pressure tank until I reached 60 psi (well beyond the service pressure of the manifolds).

During the first test, I had to fix two leaks in the test rig before starting the test over again. Galvanized pipe is great for a project like this because it can be taken apart again later and used for something else, but otherwise I hate working with it. The connections need to be SUPER tight if you want to avoid leaks.

After everything checked out, I cut the manifolds apart and soldered in the fittings for the PEX tubing. They're ready to go.
Test rig with manifolds connected. Notice how I soldered the
two manifolds together with 1/2" pipe.
Air up to 60 psi and let it sit for a while.


After a successful test, here are the manifolds
cut apart and with their PEX fittings
soldered in.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lucas
    Just a quick tip for sealing threaded fittings. I use both several wraps of teflon tape as well as a coat of thread sealing compound(I like Jet-Lube). The combination makes it much easier to tighten, in fact it will be easy to over tighten and stretch the fittings. Great blog! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Garth,
    Thanks for the tip. I'll definately try it out next time. Normally I've always just relied on copious quantities of "pipe dope".

    I'm glad you like the blog, and thanks for contributing!

    ReplyDelete