| Continuing with the theme of unusually hot weather last summer, by 9 or 10 am these guys were already being beaten down by the sun. |
Prior to starting the pour, I was warned by the contractor that because of the heat of the day I would be running the risk of having the slab crack as it cured. Not knowing if cooler weather would ever materialize in the near future (it didn't until september) I elected to go ahead with the pour. We started the pour first thing in the morning so that the concrete wouldn't set up too quickly and make the finishing difficult.
To help reduce the potential for cracking as the concrete cured, I was told that I should set a sprinkler to water the concrete. Watering the concrete would help to keep the surface of the slab relatively cool and give it the time it needed to properly cure. Sounds good... but sprinklers need water pressure to work - water pressure can be difficult to come up with when you don't have access to a municipal water supply. And even if I did have the pressure to run a sprinkler, my well wouldn't support the rate of water consumption that would be required to water the slab for 48 hours straight. What I ended up doing was hauling in water with my truck 175 gallons at a time, then watering the slab with a utility pump connected to a garden hose. To prevent the water from completely evaporating, I had to go out and spray down the slab every half hour or so on the first day. The next day I was able to get away with watering the slab about once an hour. Despite my best efforts, there ended up being a few hairline cracks in the slab. Oh well.
Undone - The Guess Who
Lucas,
ReplyDeleteYou received good advice about using water to help the slab cure.
In an earlier post, you mentioned that the amount of rebar you used was a bit overboard. This will ensure that the slab is strong and will reduce the possibilities of cracks. My philosophy is that overbuilding is much preferable to the alternative.
Jim,
DeleteI tend to agree with you about erring on the side of "overbuilding" but at the same time I always try to aim for "just enough". There's an edge to a slippery slope somewhere in there that I try hard to avoid.