During that time I fabricated a set of forks for my tractor - this would prove to be time not wasted.
| Home-made forks. I saved the actual two forks from rusting away behind the farm co-op down the road. The rest was fabbed out of pieces of scrap from my brother-in-law's back yard. |
Working off the architect's foundation plan, I also produced some drawings and graphics to help explain to the contractor how I thought he should go about constructing the foundation - this would also prove to be time not wasted.
The foundation design was done by our architect Walter and achieves all the things that I was looking for - FPSF foundation that was "fully wrapped" in insulation. Being that the foundation was to be of the FPSF variety and also a walk-out, the profile resembles a slab on grade for the walk-out portion - except that the footings were poured first and the slab poured over the footings like a lid. The reasoning here was that it is difficult to compact the fill under a conventional "club footing" since the inside face of the footing is at an angle. Also, by pouring the slab over a more conventional footing, it would be easier to insulate around the footing and we would avoid the usual cracking of the concrete where a more traditional club footing changes thickness. The following images omit the forms but show the construction sequence for the foundation at the slab edge:
Where a full height concrete wall was required, it would be poured on top of the slab with vertical rebar tying the wall to the footings through the slab. Sounds complicated, but it worked out to be pretty straight-forward:
![]() |
| This image gives a general idea of what I mean by pouring the wall on top of the slab. |

Lucas,
ReplyDeleteAwesome blog! I was hoping to do something like this myself, but I will probably have to do a post-construction review. There just aren't enough hours in the day!
Thanks for sharing the photos and text. Keep it coming!
Ahhh...I was trying to figure out how you did the foundation from looking at the pics. Nice... Your Sketchup skills are impressive as well.
ReplyDeleteDaniel,
ReplyDeleteThanks, and I understand what you mean. I have been sleeping less than usual as a result of this blog.
Lucas,
ReplyDeleteGreat and helpful blog.
I am at a similar point as you were when you started learning all you could about super insulated homes several years ago. I hope to build in a slighly warmer climate, ~9300 HDD, in five years time and I have provisionally settled on a Larsen Truss wall, so the "air tight sheathing" Q&A post at GBA caught my eye.
I'm curious about one point: Why the multiple Roxul batts in the wall rather than blown-in, dense cellulose? The cellulose is my present favorite as it fills all those nooks and crannies...
Bill,
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you find it useful. If you like Larsen trusses, stay tuned...
Dense-pack cellulose was my first choice as well. However, I was not able to find any local insulation contractors experienced in dense-packing and I'm not-so-sure dense packing is a DIY job.
I chose Roxul for insulation because I believe it is a material with many good qualities. Also, because I will be installing the batts myself, I can take the time to make sure they are fitted properly.