Friday, December 2, 2011

The design phase.

The design phase... My favorite phase. So many possibilities. At times I wish I were a design professional so that every day could be a day for the design phase. I started my planning and research for this project in 2007 and started construction in the late spring of 2011 so at least I got to spend a lot of time in the design phase for this house. I think it's important to not be in rush to complete the design phase - for anyone contemplating the design of a new house: start early and don't set deadlines too early.

In 2008, I was learning very basic aspects of energy efficient design - concepts like solar gain, thermal mass, insulation and air-sealing were all new to me. Library books were where I started but I came to realize that much of the information that was available was from the 70s and 80s! It wasn't until I picked up a copy of Volume 1 of Fine Home Building's "Energy-Smart Homes" magazine that I realized that there were people out there working on building houses like the one I wanted to build. Soon I was on the internet digging and digging for information, when suddenly I came across a website called "Green Building Advisor", also a branch of FHB.

I learned a lot after stumbling onto the GBA. Their "Q&A" forum offered fast, and high quality information from different experienced perspectives. It was a goldmine of information that allowed me to develop my own perspective. I lost all interest in using rigid foam insulation as an above grade sheathing material and gained a strong interest in air-tightness. It was right about this time that I also started drafting my first profile sketches - which were a more primitive version of what I am currently building.
Version 1. More of a double wall with "air-tight" sheathing that isn't very "buildable".
At this point I didn't really have a good system for sealing the joints of the sheathing.
I hadn't yet heard of some of the nice tapes that I later came across.



































The work of Master Housewright Robert Riversong has been a key influence on my thinking. The truss wall design that I have finally settled on is only a re-working of his original "Riversong Truss" that incorporates "air-tight" sheathing and exterior dimensions suited to using batt insulation (instead of dense packed cellulose).

In the spring of 2010, my wife Jessica and I decided to consult with an architect about our project. There were a couple of reasons for doing so:
  • We both wanted something more thoughtful than a "canned" floorplan and I wasn't having much luck coming up with my own.
  • I needed an engineer's stamp to satisfy our local building inspector that some of the more unusual things I wanted to do could be done - like framing a truss wall or putting our footings on top of rigid foam.
Our experience with our architect Walter Kuch was positive. The floorplan and elevations we decided on are far superior to anything I had been working on myself and having an engineer's stamp made getting a building permit a piece of cake.

For a while I had gone away from the idea of using "air-tight" sheathing as an air barrier but it came back around again to gnaw at me in the end. Before I returned to seek amendments to my plans I decided to have a chat with my local building inspector. I was surprised to find that she was in fact quite progressive in her thinking. For example, what I thought would be a long debate about eliminating the "vapour barrier" as drawn on my plans in favour of taped 1/2" plywood as both air barrier and vapour retarder turned out to be a non-event so I didn't bother amending my plans - I just drew up some of my own details.

One of the last things I had done before we built was have some "energy modelling" done. For this I turned again to Robert Riversong who may not use the "most advanced" software but who's math skills I trust... more than many simulation programs I've fooled around with. I would have liked to have tried using the PHPP software to tweak the design as we went but there was nobody locally who was using it and the purchase price/learning curve were a little beyond the budget/timeline. In any case, I was satisfied with the numbers Robert's calculations returned so it was finally time to pull the trigger.

2 comments:

  1. Lucas,


    Did you have any issues with requiring a `fire stop` in your walls. Just curious how inspectors feel about the doublestud/truss walls.

    Also, was it difficult to work the hanging truss/FSPF with your structural engineer.. Or was that an easy sell?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jobe,

    To be honest, the question of "firestops" never came up with my inspector. I will be insulating the walls with Roxul batts, which are possibly the most fire-resistant type of insulation there is, so I'm not too worried about it.

    Regarding the truss walls and FPSF foundation...

    In the begining I was a bit worried about how I would get approval to do all these things I wanted to do. This was one of the reasons my wife and I decided to consult with an architect.
    Both items we're an "easy sell" - Walter had already done a number of projects using FPSF foundations and with the drawings I made it was easy to describe how I wanted to build the envelope. Once Walter knew what I was after he had his "in house" engineer stamp the plans.
    There was a point before all that when I had gone to speak with a couple of differnt structural engineers but they didn't seem all that interested... I think they had enough "easy work" that they didn't need to take on what they might have considered a more "risky" project. Frankly, now that I have a rapport with my inspector and know the building code better, I'm sure I could have gotten a permit myself without any stamps. Live and learn.

    ReplyDelete