![]() |
| During the application of the "Blueskin" particular attention was given to making sure the seam between the bottom of the concrete wall and the top of the slab was well sealed. |
The day after the "Blueskin" was applied, I began insulating the foundation with 4" rigid XPS insulation boards. In preparation for this step, I had done a couple of things in advance. The first bit of prep work was research. I had been concerned about how I would attach my rigid foam boards to the exterior face of the "Blueskin". The facing of "Blueskin" is polyethylene and there are very few adhesives that will stick to poly, but using mechanical fasteners would puncture the membrane. Eventually I tracked down a general purpose adhesive called QB300 that is compatible with rigid foam boards but also sticks to poly. I was glad that I began my research early, as it took about a month to track down a supplier of this adhesive then another few weeks for it to be delivered. The second bit of prep work was to cross-cut the full sized 2'x8' insulation boards down into 18" pieces. These 18" pieces would cover the the footing/slab edge around the entire perimeter of the house while full length boards would be used on the walls above.
Applying the boards to the foundation was relatively easy using spots - "blobs" - of the QB300 adhesive. As the brochure states, it has a very high "initial tack" which gives it relatively good holding power right from the get-go. In a few instances, where the boards gave me a harder time, I used bits of lumber to brace them against the foundation. Once cured the adhesive made a very good bond between the foam boards and the "Blueskin" - there were no instances of boards falling off prior to backfilling.
| 18" pieces of XPS were glued around the entire slab perimeter. Notice that I only occasionally had to support the foam board with bits of lumber - in this case bits of plywood. |
Pretty Little Ditty - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Lucas,
ReplyDeleteDid you consider Roxul Drain Board instead of the rigid foam insulation on the outside of the basement walls? Just curious. I've been thinking about it for various reasons; termites and carpenter ants being one, its draining properties being is another, and finally, it's not foam. How to adhere it to the wall always bugged me, but the QB300 might solve that problem...
Keep up the great posts.
Bill Dietze
Hi Bill and thanks.
DeleteI did consider using drainboard and you make some good points about the advantages.
The problem I had was that to get to R20, I would have needed two layers of the R10 material (2.38" thick). I couldn't find any fasteners that would anchor into the concrete through that much material (without drilling holes) and I wasn't sure if adhesive was going to work...
Like you, I'm not a big fan of rigid foam but when the opportunity came along to get my hands on reclaimed XPS, I took it because it seemed like the most practical solution...