Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Road map.

With my last post, we pretty much came to the end of the foundation work. I'm sure there will be a few revisits in the future, but now I'm looking forward to getting into all the other stuff. At a couple of points I had skipped ahead and made a few posts on some of the framing and airsealing work. In this post I wanted to start this new phase of the blog by laying out a "road map" - so as to show where I've been and where I'm going.

At various points throughout this project, I have had moments where the end goal seemed almost impossibly far away. During those moments I always found it useful to break the journey down into smaller pieces and simply focus on the next task - one task at a time and the next thing you know, you've made substantial progress.

So, here then is the "map" of major tasks or stages of construction so far. I've left out a lot of the lesser tasks that I've blogged about so as to keep the "map" a little more simple. This list ends where the project is currently, and has links to the parts that have already been covered:
1. Site prep.
2. Foundation work.
3. Framing the basement walls.
4. Installing the mud sills over concrete the walls.
5. Framing the floor deck.
6. Framing the main floor walls.
7. Installing the roof trusses.
8. Sheathing and application of cladding to the roof.
9. Sheathing the main floor walls.
10. Framing the exterior wall trusses.

Now here is another "map", this time showing where I think I'll be going in the future. Since this is a future map, things may change along the way:
11. Facia and eavestrough.
12. Exterior electrical rough-in.
13. Exterior doors.
14. Insulation, housewrap, windows and siding.
15. Drop-ceiling, solar thermal plumbing and stove-pipe rough-in.
16. Ceiling insulation.
17. Basement and mainfloor partition walls.
18. Plumbing.
19. Electrical.
20. Hmmm...

Well, now that I've typed this out... I feel like I better get changed into my work-clothes and get crackin'. There's a lot of work to do!

Taking Care Of Business - Bachman Turner Overdrive

2 comments:

  1. Hello Lucas
    Just wanted to point out that you might want to rethink solar thermal after reading Martin's latest blog over @ GBA. A heat pump water heater might combine well with your woodstove...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Garth,
      I read Martin's blog this morning. I'm already committed to the solar thermal approach since I've bought all the gear already.
      Looks like I may just squeeze into the "two-collector solar thermal system installed for $5,000 or less" category though. Discounting labour, since I will be doing the install myself, I was able to buy all the equipment for ~$4600 USD. I still need some copper fittings.

      Delete