Also, I think I'd like to embark on a slight tangent at this point. Having had some time to reflect on the hole process - I do a lot of thinking while I'm building - I have come to the conclusion that the walk-out basement complicates the construction process significantly. For instance, my entire point about paying careful attention to trasitioning this second top plate would be moot if I had decided to build a two-storey slab on grade. I could cite a list of complications that could have been side-stepped by going to a two-storey slab on grade... but since this is just a brief tangent, maybe I'll save it for another post.
Getting back to the mud sills... As with all the other assembly procedures, one musn't forget to ensure the proper application of the air stop tape and EPDM gaskets.
The procedure was as follows:
- The mud sills were pre-drilled for anchor bolts.
- Air-stop tape was applied to each piece of mud sill.
- EPDM gasket (BG 63) was applied to the mud sill.
- The mud sills were bolted to the top of the basement (concrete) wall.
- A chalk line was snapped to mark the exterior edge of the 2x4 plate common to these mud sills and the adjacent stick framed walls.
- The 2x4 plate was applied using adhesive (PL Premium) then straightend and nailed with 2 1/2" galvanized nails.
- The air-stop tape at the mud sill was "connected" to the 2x4 plate.
| Lay out the pieces of mud sill, then mark and pre-drill the anchor bolt holes. In my case, the interior edge of the mud sill was set flush with the inside face of the concrete wall. |
| Apply the EPDM gasket. |
| Flip the sill assembly over and install each piece on the wall. Take some time to roughly straighten all the pieces of plywood then tighten the nuts on the anchor bolts. |
Putting together the mud sill assembly wasn't hard but it wasn't super quick either. After all, we're talking about an assembly, implying (obviously) that there is more than just one piece to the mud sill. The extra time involved in the installation can almost entirely be attributed to the fact that this isn't a traditional one-piece mud sill. There was also some extra time lost to the fact that the plywood only comes in 8' lengths - more pieces to work with... and again to the fact that the plywood had to be ripped to the proper width. But I'm not sure how significant these factors are over all.
As between seperate sections of the stick framed walls, it worked out well to leave about an extra 1/8" of both gasket and tape at each end of the plywood.
Installing the plate over the mud sill assembly went quickly - 16' lengths of 2x4 were used here. I used galvanized nails since I was nailing into pressure treated plywood and I happened to have 2 1/2" galvanized nails on hand. I'm not sure it matters if the nails are galvanized or not since they really only serve to hold the plate along a straight line until the adhesive cures. The adhesive is doing the lion's share of securing the plate to the mud sill assembly.
No comments:
Post a Comment