Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I'm back.

I haven't posted much to this blog over the last month. In part I was too busy helping to get our garden going while also having to work a lot of overtime at my "day job". I was also away for a couple of weeks visiting my family on the west coast. Now that I'm back and the garden is in and growing, I'm hoping I'll have the time to resume regular posting. Next up, framing the exterior wall trusses - part 3.

Visiting Vancouver... Condos, condos, condos... welcome to Canada's biggest real estate bubble - but wait, it's not really a bubble, Vancouver's different...

Peter lets out some aggression on this musical exhibit at the Vancouver Children's Festival.

We spent a week off the grid at the cabin on Nelson Island. My step-mother's family has been building on this property for the last 40 years. Over the last 15 years or so, a single solar panel and a small bank of deep-cycle batteries has provided enough energy to run the 12 volt DC lighting system and a small inverter for running the radio and charging cell phones.

So what do you do when you're off the grid? Plenty - fish, trap prawns, fix things, beach comb, hike, drink wine, build puzzles, talk, and of course fly a kite!

Back in the city again, we took Peter to see the Vancouver Aquarium...

...and the "Greenheart Canopy Walkway" at the UBC botanical gardens.

After our trip, it was nice to come home and see that our garden had done well in our absence. These beans had just barely sprouted when we left.

I'm guessing our local wildlife enjoyed their holiday too - from all the sounds of nailing and sawing that have been so common over the last year.

Hot Tequila Brown - Jamiroquai

No comments:

Post a Comment