A fully wrapped residential foundation requires a lot of insulation. Even more so in our case since I also need to insulate the ground around the footings as part of the Frost Protected Shallow Footing (FPSF) system we are using. Fortunately, I was able to find a local source for reclaimed XPS rigid insulation boards. The boards were in good shape (though dirty and a little dented here and there) and they were a little more than half the best price I was quoted for new material.
| On the left are 2'x4'x3" boards. On the right are 2'x8'x4" boards. Together that pile is 8' high, 12' wide and 16' long. |
Hi Lucas,
ReplyDeleteMy name is Adrian and I'm in the planning stages of a similar project in Toronto (http://torontonetzerohouse.blogspot.com/). Any chance you can share the source for the reclaimed XPS?
Thank you,
Adrian
Hi Adrian,
ReplyDeleteIn Thunder Bay, you'll want to contact Robert at Superior Home Insulation. He often has an add floating around on Kijiji
When I was still searching I came across some that was a little closer to your neck of the woods...
I think it was National Building Supplies in Sutton.
That is awesome! Thank you very much and good luck with your project.
ReplyDeleteI'm actually heading out to my "committee of adjustment" hearing and if everything will go well we hope to start building next spring so this info will help us a lot.